Although I've expressed my opinion on this topic for quite some time, it seems to be a current "hot topic", so I'll give my top 5 reasons I don’t refer to myself as a "Person of Color":
1. Using the word "color" in relation to describing a Black person has historically been known as derogatory, in my opinion it still is.
2. Under most circumstances I am considered Black or African American, I personally don't need a new term to identify my inequitable position or status in this Country.
3. In my opinion "BIPOC" is a trend term, I'm not into trends or fitting in.
4. My racial identity is obvious, unless of course you think I'm clear.
5. First they'll use "Person of Color", next they assume the word "Negro" is back in style and acceptable.
This is my top 5, I could list more but I'm not overly justifying my preference to other people's norms.
Keisha M. Robinson, M.Ed, M.S.,LBS